Dog Park Rules Are All About Dog Safety
Dog park rules and etiquette are really all about dog safety. It is a crucial part of socialization, and like any social setting there are rules and guidelines. These are not to take the fun out of things, but to make sure that this is a safe place to be. No where is this more crucial than in the off leash dog park. Here’s what you need to know:
- Be With Your Companion. This is rule #1. Your pet is your responsibility and you must be aware of them at all times. They respond best to you, and you respond best to them. Dog safety is dependent on you keeping your pet’s best interests in sight at all times
- Scoop The Poop. Okay, maybe this is #1 in dog park rules, and it does go hand-in-hand with keeping an eye on them at all times. Make sure to bring extra bags with you, it’s always a nice thing to be able to share.
- Healthy And Up-To-Date. Wait until your puppy is fully immunized before heading out to the park. If your canine is sick in any way, or in heat, just don’t go. No matter how much fun it is to go, dog safety depends on owners keeping their pets home at these times.
- Treats Are Not A Great Idea. There is disagreement about whether this is a part of dog park rules, but here’s why I put it in here. First, you should never give a treat to any pet but your own, since you don’t know what food allergies they may have. Secondly, it’s hard to give your companion a treat without causing jealousy and bad behaviour from other animals. Especially in the off leash dog park, this can quickly escalate into a fight. Stick to praise and pats as your reward while in the park for dog safety.
- Off Leash Dog Park Rules. Use the double gate as the place to remove and replace the leash. Why? Their behaviour is different, and if you enter with your companion on a leash the other dogs will react to it. Of course, be vigilant about not letting any other pets in or out at the gate.
- Always Follow The Posted Rules. Every place is different, so take a moment and read the rules first, and follow them. They may not seem essential to dog safety to you, but it certainly will make a difference to the park staying open.
- Don’t Forget The Golden Rule. Such a simple thing, but it’s always worth remembering. You wouldn’t want anyone else to discipline your pooch, or tell you how to train them, so don’t do it to others. Never handle someone else’s companion without their permission. This is a sure way to spoil the fun for everyone.
Dog safety is entirely up to you, and paying attention to your companion. Be ready to work with them if they show any discomfort, or even leave if you have to. Plus, this way, there won’t be a missed poop to scoop. Go only when your pooch is healthy, not in heat, and has up-to-date immunizations. Following the dog park rules will keep you and yours safe, having fun, and meeting old and new friends.
Click here to read about What Is A Dog Park Really All About